Current:Home > MyEmbattled UK journalist will not join Washington Post as editor, staff memo says -Capitatum
Embattled UK journalist will not join Washington Post as editor, staff memo says
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 04:12:51
British journalist Robert Winnett will not be joining the Washington Post as its editor, an internal memo seen by Reuters showed, following media reports that he used unethical methods to obtain information while working with the Sunday Times.
Post publisher Will Lewis had named Winnett, a former colleague who serves as deputy editor of the Daily Telegraph, to the role earlier this month after the exit of Sally Buzbee, the first woman to lead the storied newsroom. The reversal means Winnett will remain at the Daily Telegraph, which he joined in 2007.
"It is with regret that I share with you that Robert Winnett has withdrawn from the position of Editor at The Washington Post," Lewis said in the memo on Friday.
The New York Times reported last Saturday that Lewis and Winnett used fraudulently obtained records in articles at London's Sunday Times newspaper. On Sunday, the Post published a report detailing Winnett's ties to John Ford, who has admitted to using illegal methods to gain information for stories.
Lewis did not immediately respond to Reuters requests for comment, while Winnett declined to comment.
'Their loss is our gain'
Daily Telegraph editor Chris Evans said in an internal memo, "I'm pleased to report that Rob Winnett has decided to stay with us. As you all know, he's a talented chap and their loss is our gain."
The Post's memo showed that it has started a search for a new editor and that Matt Murray, former editor-in-chief of the Wall Street Journal, will lead the newsroom and continue in his role as executive editor until after the U.S. elections.
The newspaper, owned by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, is one of many news outlets struggling to maintain a sustainable business model in the decades since the internet upended the economics of journalism and digital advertising rates plummeted.
Executives at the Post last year offered voluntary buyouts across the company to reduce employee headcount by about 10% and shrink the size of the newsroom to about 940 journalists.
A report in the Post last month said the newspaper was planning to create new subscription tiers called Post Pro and Post Plus to draw more money from its readers after losing $77 million over the past year.
(Reporting by Akash Sriram and Aditya Soni in Bengaluru and Susan Heavey; Editing by David Ljunggren and Anil D'Silva)
veryGood! (687)
Related
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Over 60 ice cream products recalled for listeria risk: See list of affected items
- Jeopardy! Has Fans Buzzing Over Zendaya Question
- US economic growth for last quarter is revised up slightly to a 1.4% annual rate
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Two pandas are preparing to head to San Diego Zoo from China
- These cities have 'impossibly unaffordable' housing, report finds
- California floats an idea to fight shoplifting that may even affect who controls Congress
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- Washington Wizards select Alex Sarr with 2nd pick in 2024 NBA draft. What you need to know
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 2 killed at a Dallas-area fast food restaurant in shooting police say was targeted
- United States men's national soccer team Copa America vs. Panama: How to watch, squads
- Score $2 Old Navy Deals, Free Sunday Riley Skincare, 70% Off Gap, 70% Off J.Crew & More Discounts
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Biden and Trump go head to head: How to watch the first general election presidential debate
- Protests over Kenya tax hike proposal reportedly turn deadly in Nairobi
- Transgender prison inmate assaulted by cellmate in Arizona gets $10K judgment in civil rights suit
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Snapchill canned coffee, sold across U.S., recalled due to botulism concerns
Sports world reacts to Alex Morgan being left off 2024 USWNT Olympic roster
Bulls select Matas Buzelis with 11th pick of 2024 NBA draft. What you need to know
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Supreme Court rejects challenge to Biden administration's contacts with social media companies
Newly released video shows 3 hostages, including Israeli-American, being taken captive on Oct. 7
'She nearly made it out': Police find body believed to be missing San Diego hiker